From 14th September new restrictions apply to social gatherings in outdoor spaces in England and Scotland. The number of people allowed in an outdoor gathering has reduced from 30 to 6, appropriately socially-distanced unless from the same household. However, organised sport is one of several exemptions to the new restrictions, provided that it is conducted in accordance with COVID-19 Secure guidelines.
The guidance below offers practical advice on the measures that should be taken by model flyers, clubs, officials, volunteers and spectators before, during and after all outdoor model flying and associated activity as well as specific advice relating to clubs, competition and event organisers to ensure that they are COVID-19 Secure. It should be read in conjunction with the latest UK Government guidance and any local restrictions.
Guidance for Model Flying Clubs and Competition and Event Organisers
If clubs wish to have more than 6 members on site, they must be compliant with COVID-19 Secure guidance which includes having a COVID-19 risk assessment and a Track and Trace protocol in place. See our six steps to being COVID-19 Secure for Model Flying Clubs at https://clubsupport.bmfa.uk/6-steps-to-covid-secure
Competition & event organisers must also ensure COVID-19 Secure compliance. To assist organisers with this we have produced a Model Flying Event COVID Checklist at https://e-forms.bmfa.org/covid-checklist
Organisers should use this checklist to capture and confirm what safety and security measures they have selected as necessary for their competition or event.
Guidance for Model Flyers and Individuals involved in Model Flying
- If you or anyone in your household has any of the symptoms of COVID-19 you must stay at home. The main symptoms are:
- A high temperature.
- A new continuous cough.
- A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste.
- You must also stay at home if you have experienced COVID-19 symptoms in the past 14 days, have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14-days, or have had contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 case.
- The effects of the COVID-19 virus are most serious in men over the age of 60, especially those with other underlying health problems. If you fall into this category, we would urge careful consideration before venturing out and risking any potential exposure to the virus, however small the risk may be.
- Only travel to the flying site on your own or with members of your household.
- Only travel based on what is permitted by current government guidelines.
- On arrival and departure ensure you register with the club’s track and trace process.
- At the flying site only mix with members of your household or up to 5 people outside your household but stick to social distancing guidelines.
- Do not mix with any other individuals present outside of your group of 6 (bubble) at any time.
- Always carry and use hand sanitiser as part of your model flying equipment.
- Use hand sanitiser before and after making contact with any shared surfaces or equipment.
- Consider when the use of face masks for added protection is appropriate.
- If you become ill with any of the recognised COVID-19 symptoms (while onsite or within 10 days afterwards) contact your club track and trace co-ordinator immediately.
We remain in the midst of a pandemic. The situation is dynamic and current Government advice must be followed.
If in any doubt, please stay at home!